managers and sponsors specialized in biomedical research
The Biobank is a transversal platform providing support to biomedical research. It is comprised of CHUS’s Biobank (located in the University Hospital Complex of Santiago de Compostela) and the HULA Biobank (located in the Lucus Augusti University Hospital).
These are public and non-profit facilities in which biological samples and associated clinical information, of high quality for their use in biomedical research, are stored. They are focused on managing, under safety, quality and efficiency criteria, the reception, storage and subsequent transfer of samples to requesting researchers so they can use them in their projects, provided they meet the ethical and legal requirements.
Biobanks act, thus, as a link between sample donors, health care personnel and the research community in order to harmonize the rights, duties and interests of each collective and fostering the progress of biomedical research.
The services offered by the Biobank platform are intended for the development of translational medical research with the purpose of promoting the rapid incorporation of basic research findings into clinical health care. For example:
- Assessment of molecules of therapeutic interest.
- Assessment of biomarkers for the characterization and monitoring of several pathological processes, mainly tumours.
- Validation in human samples of findings obtained in animal models.
The Biobank’s service portfolio goes beyond the simple supply of samples in a strict sense. It offers a versatile service portfolio, which can be adapted to meet the specific needs of each research project:
- Access to frozen tissue samples and/or tissue samples in paraffin, liquid samples, nucleic acids, etc.
- Access to clinical information related to samples, always protecting the anonymity of the patient.
- Selection and dissection of relevant areas in tissues (normal cells, neoplastic population, etc.).
- Processing of tissue samples and histological and immunohistochemical staining.
- Extraction of nucleic acids.
- Design and elaboration of tissue microarrays.
- Storage, maintenance and safekeeping of sample collections for research projects and groups.
- Prospective collecting of samples depending on the specific needs of certain projects.
- Access to the sample catalogue of the Plataforma Red Nacional de Biobancos (Spanish Biobank Network Platform).
- Ethical and legal advice.
- Scientific advice.
The CHUS Biobank has many Informed Consent templates available depending on the purpose of the sample collection. Said document templates have been approved by the Regional Research Ethics Committee (CAEI) of Galicia.
All documents consist of two parts:
- Information sheet for the patient participating in biomedical research: it explains the purpose of the sample collection and indicates which samples and associated information will be requested to the donor, the possible inconvenient of collecting said samples, the conditions for the donation, how confidentiality is guaranteed, how data will be processed, possible restrictions in the use of samples and the possibility of obtaining relevant information on the outcome of the research.
- Informed consent: it is signed by the patient if they consent to donating their sample for biomedical research.
The informed consent will be issued in 2 copies: one of them will be provided to the donor and the other one will be stored at the centre where the sample is collected, that is to say, at the Biobank.
Below you can download the consent templates we currently have available:
Informed consent for Biobank (IN THE CONTEXT OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC)
Consent templates to submit diagnostic surpluses, as well as a small additional sample of blood if needed, to the Biobank during the COVID-19 pandemic, and only if circumstances permit, and provided there is no risk to the patient’s health.
- Consentimento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para adultos (GL) - COVID
- Consentimiento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para adultos (ES) - COVID
- Consentimiento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para menores de entre 12-18 años (ES) - COVID
- Consentimento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para menores de entre 12-18 anos (GL) - COVID
- Consentimiento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para menores de 12 años (ES) - COVID
- Consentimento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para menores de 12 anos (GL) - COVID
Informed consent for Biobank
Consent templates to submit diagnostic surpluses to the Biobank.
- Consentimento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para menores de entre 12-18 anos (GL)
- Consentimiento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para menores de entre 12-18 años (ES)
- Consentimento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para menores de 12 anos de idade (GL)
- Consentimiento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para menores de 12 años de edad (ES)
- Consentimento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para adultos (GL)
- Consentimiento Informado Rede Galega de Biobancos para adultos (ES)
Current fees (without VAT)