managers and sponsors specialized
in biomedical research
The Board of Directors is the highest management and representation body of the Institute, a role which corresponds to -as stipulated in the agreement for the establishment of IDIS- the Agreement Monitoring and Fulfilment Committee, set up pursuant to article 6.3 of Law 30/1992, of 26 November, on the legal regime of public administrations and of common administrative proceeding.
All the entities which make up IDIS are represented in this body.
- Chairperson: the head of the Galician Department of Health or the Director of the General Directorate of Health Insurance and Planning.
- Vice Chairperson: the Vice-chancellor of the University of Santiago de Compostela or the Deputy Vice-chancellor of research and innovation.
- 6 Members: 3 of them appointed by the Galician Department of Health and 3 appointed by the Vice-chancellor of USC.
- Scientific Director: they have the right to speak, but not to vote in the Board of Directors meetings.
- Secretary: this position is held by 2 members of the Board of Directors or by a person appointed for this purpose. In this case, this person has the right to speak, but not to vote.
- José Castillo Sánchez is the Scientific Director of the Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria de Santiago (Health Research Institute of Santiago de Compostela) and the Head of Research of the Health Care Area of Santiago de Compostela and Barbanza.
IDIS’s External Scientific Committee is a body comprising professionals of international standing in the fields of knowledge concerning the Institute, and who are responsible for ensuring the scientific quality of the activities carried out by IDIS and for contributing to its improvement.
The External Scientific Committee’s purpose is to advise the governing and management bodies of the Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria de Santiago de Compostela (Health Research Institute of Santiago de Compostela) in order to ensure the highest quality in the scientific and training activities carried out at IDIS and the fulfilment of the objectives established pursuant to its strategic planning.
Members of IDIS’s External Scientific Committee
- Melchor Álvarez de Mon Soto, Director of the Medicine and Medical Specialities Department at the University of Alcalá de Henares, Madrid.
- María del Carmen Ayuso García, Scientific Director of the Health Research Institute of the Jiménez Díaz Foundation.
- Joan Comella Carnicé, Scientific Director of the Vall d’Hebron Research Institute of Barcelona.
- Xosé García Bustelo, Researcher at the Cancer Research Centre of Salamanca.
- Ángeles Almeida Parra, Deputy Director of the Biomedical Reseach Institute of Salamanca.
- María Rosario Luquin Piudo, Scientific Director of the Health Research Institute of Navarra.
- María Teresa Miras Portugal, Researcher at the Complutense University of Madrid.
IDIS’s Research Committee corresponds to the Research Committee for the Agreement between the University of Santiago de Compostela and the Servizo Galego de Saúde (Galician Health Service). This Committee offers advice to the Scientific Management as required.
The Research Committee is responsible for promoting and coordinating the research activity of the Institute and the Integrated Management Services. Specifically, the Committee’s assigned tasks are the following:
- Acting as an advisor to the scientific director in their research activity and in the development and assessment of research lines.
- Fostering specific research-related programmes and promoting initiatives for the improvement of research quality.
- Reviewing the Institute’s research-related management procedures.
- Assessing and collecting, where appropriate, research-related suggestions made by research and management personnel.
- Reviewing applications for projects, subsidies, grants, and issuing reports regarding the projects requiring funding, approving or rejecting their development.
- Establishing the criteria for the awarding of research grants and suggesting these criteria to the scientific management for their submission to the Board of Directors and for their subsequent approval by this Board, where appropriate.
- Planning the Institute’s research and scientific policy and ensuring that the research carried out complies with the general ethical principles which shall govern it.
- All those tasks entrusted by the scientific director of IDIS and the Manager of XXIS, including:
- Compiling the scientific objectives from each area and the proposed indicators to measure their degree of fulfilment.
- Compiling the training needs from each area aimed at fulfilling scientific objectives.
- Suggesting the annual scientific objectives and the action plan developing them to the Board of Directors.
- Analyzing and making proposals for plans and regulations, especially regarding the training plan and the integration plan.
- Monitoring the activity of IDIS, especially including the training and integration plans. Monitoring the decisions made.
- Validating the annual activity report.
- Assessing and authorizing internships for IDIS professionals.
- Chairperson: Federico Martinón Torres
- José Ramón Caeiro Rey. Head of the Traumatology Service.
- Anxo Fernández Ferreiro. Area Specialist. Hospital Pharmacy. Juan Rodés Researcher (ISCIII).
- Rodolfo Gómez Bahamonde. Miguel Servet Researcher. Head of the Musculoskeletal Pathology Group.
- Carlos Peña Gil. Area Specialist. Cardiology.
- Andrés Soto Varela. Area Specialist. Otorhinolaryngology.
- Ana Vega Gliemmo. Genomic Medicine Assistant. Head of the Cancer Genetics and Rare Diseases Group.
- Irene Zarra Ferro. Head of the Pharmacy Service.
- Isabel Lista García. Director of IDIS Foundation.
- Secretary: Yolanda María Liste Martínez. IDIS Research Manager.
IDIS’s Training Committee is the structure responsible for IDIS’s training strategy approach and for this purpose it enjoys the support of IDIS’s Technical Secretariat. The Board of Directors is responsible for ultimately approving the Institute’s plans and their amendments. IDIS’s Scientific Director is the person responsible for submitting the Training Plan and its suggested improvements to this body, advised by the Research Committee and the External Scientific Committee.
IDIS’s Training Committee annually compiles the training needs of IDIS’s research areas, developing the training portfolio which is submitted to the Research Committee and subsequently to the External Scientific Committee. The Board of Directors approves the training actions which are integrated into IDIS’s action plan.
The operational monitoring of the Institute’s training is the responsibility of the Training Committee which reports its progress to the Research Committee.
- Chairperson: Clara Álvarez Villamarín (Chief Researcher of the Neoplasia and Differentiation of Endocrine Cells Group C0001 IDIS, CIMUS; TU-USC Professor).
- Ana Calvache González (Director of the Comprehensive Breast Surgery Unit, General Surgery Service, CHUS).
- Rogelio Leira Muíño (CHUS Training Committee Chairman. Head of Studies (MIR, Resident Medical Intern), Director of the Cephalalgia Unit, Neurology Service, CHUS).
- Sergio Cinza Sanjurjo (Head of Studies of the Family Medicine and Community Medicine Training Unit).
- Francisca Lago Paz (Chief Researcher of the Cellular and Molecular Cardiology Group).
- María Torres Español (Head of the CeGen (Spanish Genotyping Centre)-ISCIII Platform).
- Ángel Diaz Lagares (Co-director of the Epigenomics Unit, Chief Researcher of the Cancer Epigenomics Unit, IDIS).
- Adrián Mosquera Orgueira (Fourth Year Haematology Resident. Haemato-Oncology).
- Diana Guallar Artal (Chief Researcher of the Epitranscriptomics and Aging Group).
- Secretary: José Ramón Castro Ruibal (IDIS Research Manager).
This committee was created with the aim of increasing the participation and integration of primary health care groups and professionals into the Institute’s activity. The following are the specific tasks of the Primary Health Care Coordination Committee:
- Making a situation diagnosis which allows us to know the degree of involvement of the primary health care professionals in the research efforts carried out within the framework of IDIS.
- Proposing improvement plans by means of identifying and leveraging existing good practices (Benchmarking).
- Raising awareness on primary health care professionals.
- Carrying out promotion actions focused on projecting the importance of health research to society.
- Articulating and executing action plans in its field of action, fostering the integration of primary health care professionals into the Institute.
- Chairman: Daniel Rey Aldana. Family doctor. Health Centre of A Estrada. Co-director of USC-SEMERGEN Chair, XXI (Integrated Management Services), Santiago de Compostela.
- Sergio Cinza Sanjurjo. Family doctor. Health Centre of Porto do Son. A Coruña. Coordinator of the Family and Community Medicine Training Unit, XXI (Integrated Management Services), Santiago de Compostela.
- Jose Manuel Fernández García. Family doctor. Head of the Primary Health Care Service at the Health Centre of Valga. XXI (Integrated Management Services) Santiago de Compostela.
- José Ramón González Juanatey. Head of the Cardiology Service at the University Hospital Complex of Santiago de Compostela.
- Francisco Gude Sampedro. Head of the Clinical Epidemiology Unit at the University Hospital Complex of Santiago de Compostela (CHUS).
- Soraya Meijome Blanco. Family and Community Nursing Specialist. Health Centre of Valga. XXI (Integrated Management Services) Santiago de Compostela.
- Agustín Pía Morandeira. Primary Care Pharmacist at the Health Centre of Noia. XXI (Integrated Management Services) Santiago de Compostela.
- Manuel Portela Romero. Deputy director of Health Care Processes of the Medical Area at the Hospital Complex of Santiago de Compostela.
- Juan Sánchez Castro. Family doctor. Head of the Primary Health Care Service at the Health Centre of A Estrada.
- Xoán Vásquez Lago. Public Health Specialist at XXI (Integrated Management Services) of Santiago de Compostela. Preventive Medicine and Public Health Specialist.
- Sandra Yáñez Freire. Fourth Year Family and Community Medicine Resident at the Training Unit of Santiago de Compostela. Health Centre of A Estrada, XXI (Integrated Management Services), Santiago de Compostela.
- Secretary: José Ramón Castro Ruibal. IDIS Research Manager.
Given the work organization, and with the purpose of facilitating the development of the Quality and Improvement Plan and the implementation of the designed quality management system throughout the organization, the Institute also has its own Quality Committee. The purpose of the Quality Committee is to plan and coordinate the activities carried out within the Institute’s framework. In this regard, the Quality Committee is responsible for:
- Verifying the compliance with the Quality Plan.
- Proposing initiatives for quality improvement.
- Proposing quality assessment methods and instruments.
- Collaborating in the design, execution and monitoring of the assessment activities.
- Notifying the institute’s governing bodies of the processes and results of the quality assessment.
- Preparing the Quality Plan annual report.
- Chairman: Mr. Luis León Mateos. Oncology Specialist.
- Carlos Grande Sellera. (Innovation Technician at IDIS and member of the ITEMAS Platform).
- Pablo Mosquera Martínez (Innovation Technician at IDIS and member of the ITEMAS Platform).
- Beatriz Pais Iglesias. Quality Deputy Director at the Integrated Management Services (Xerencia de Xestión Integrada) of Santiago de Compostela.
- Isabel Lista García. Director of IDIS Foundation.
- Secretary: Yolanda María Liste Martínez. IDIS Research Manager.