Objectives and lines of research
Interdisciplinary research group of the Institute that addresses the challenges caused by the increase in chronic diseases by applying new techniques to reduce the risk of disease.
The main objective of the group is to generate valid knowledge for the whole of the National Health System. The group’s mission is to stimulate and support the development and application of knowledge to improve the health of citizens by integrating three areas of research: diagnostic tests, clinical studies and research methods.
Lines of research
1. Carrying out observational and experimental studies that address chronic-prevalent diseases both from a population context and from patient care, and whose anchor point is Primary Health Care.
2. Development and implementation of new diagnostic tools related to inflammation and glycation parameters in chronic-prevalent diseases (alcoholism, obesity, diabetes, liver disease, cardiovascular disease, allergy, cancer, among others).
3. Development of innovative procedures and methodologies that promote the management, analysis and presentation of research results in accordance with the new times.
- Gude-Sampedro F, Fernández-Merino C, Ferreiro L, Lado-Baleato Ó, Espasandín-Domínguez J, Hervada X, Cadarso CM, Valdés L. Development and validation of a prognostic model based on comorbidities to predict Covid-19 severity. A population-based study. Int J Epidemiol. 2021 Mar 3;50(1):64-74. doi: 10.1093/ije/dyaa209.
- Alende-Castro V, Alonso-Sampedro M, Fernández-Merino C, Sánchez-Castro J, Sopeña B, Gude F, Gonzalez-Quintela A. C-Reactive Protein versus Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate: Implications Among Patients with No Known Inflammatory Conditions. J Am Board Fam Med. 2021 Sep-Oct;34(5):974-983. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2021.05.210072.
- Matabuena M, Petersen A, Vidal JC, Gude F. Glucodensities: A new representation of glucose profiles using distributional data analysis. Stat Methods Med Res. 2021 Jun;30(6):1445-1464. doi: 10.1177/0962280221998064.
- Calvo-Malvar M, Benítez-Estévez AJ, Sánchez-Castro J, Leis R, Gude F. Effects of a Community-Based Behavioral Intervention with a Traditional Atlantic Diet on Cardiometabolic Risk Markers: A Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial (“The GALIAT Study”). Nutrients. 2021 Apr 7;13(4):1211. doi: 10.3390/nu13041211.
- Dieguez-Alvarez M, Carballo I, Alonso-Sampedro M, Sopeña B, Gude F, Gonzalez-Quintela A. Serum immunoglobulin-A (IgA) concentrations in a general adult population: association with demographics and prevalence of selective IgA deficiency. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2020 Mar 26;58(4):e109-e112. doi: 10.1515/cclm-2019-0957
- Skaaby T, Kilpeläinen TO, Taylor AE, Mahendran Y, Wong A, Ahluwalia TS, Paternoster L, Trompet S, Stott DJ, Flexeder C, Zhou A, Brusselle G, Sajjad A, Lahousse L, Tiemeier H, Have CT, Thuesen BH, Kårhus LL, Møllehave LT, Leth-Møller KB, Shabanzadeh DM, Gonzalez-Quintela A, Power C, Hyppönen E, Kuh D, Hardy R, Meitinger T, Jukema JW, Völker U, Nauck M, Völzke H, Friedrich N, Bonten TN, Noordam R, Mook-Kanamori DO, Tolstrup JS, Taube C, Peters A, Grallert H, Strauch K, Schulz H, Grarup N, Hansen T, Pedersen O, Burgess S, Munafò MR, Linneberg A. Association of alcohol consumption with allergic disease and asthma: a multi-centre Mendelian randomization analysis. Addiction. 2019 Feb;114(2):216-225. doi: 10.1111/add.14438.
- Vidal C, Rodríguez Del Río P, Gude F, Casale T, Cox L, Just J, Pfaar O, Demoly P, Calderón MA. Comparison of international systemic adverse reactions due to allergen immunotherapy. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2019 Apr;7(4):1298-1305.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2018.12.006.