Objectives and lines of research
The BioFarma research group has a proven track record in applied research for early drug discovery in collaboration with the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry. BioFarma is involved in the open innovation models that have been implemented in the pharmaceutical sector in recent years and have allowed a significant increase in public-private collaboration.
BioFarma is one of the High Capacity Screening Centers of the European Research Infrastructure Consortium ERIC EU-OPENSCREEN (European Infrastructure of Open Screening Platforms for Chemical Biology). It has a human group of more than 30 professionals that includes doctors in pharmacy, medicine, biology and chemistry, as well as pharmacists, chemists and biologists, laboratory technicians, etc. This human group has extensive experience in different aspects of assay development, assay miniaturization, design and execution of screening cascades, in vitro safety panels, ADME, etc. It is an international multidisciplinary team with experts in constant adaptation to new technologies, which allows great robustness in the results obtained.
Lines of research
- G-Protein coupled receptors
- Pharmacology in translational research.
- Fine-tuning and miniaturization of techniques for High Throughtput Screening (HTS)
- Martínez AL, Brea J, Monroy X, Merlos M, Burgueño J, Loza MI. A New Model of Sensorial Neuron-Like Cells for HTS of Novel Analgesics for Neuropatic Pain. SLAS Discovery 2019 Feb;24(2):158-168. doi: 10.1177/2472555218810323.
- Perez Mato M, Iglesias Rey R, Vieites Prado A, Dopico Lopez A, Argibay B, Fernçandez Susavila H, da Silva Candal A, Perez Diaz A, Correa Paz C, Günther A, Avila Gómez P, Isabel Loza M, Baumann A, Castillo J, Sobrino T, Campos F. Blood glutamate EAAT2-cell grabbing therapy in cerebral ischemia. EBioMedicine, 2019 Jan; 39:118-131. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2018.11.024
- Triana-Martínez F, Picallos-Rabina P, Da Silva-Álvarez S, Pietrocola F, Llanos S, Rodilla V, Soprano E, Pedrosa P, Ferreirós A, Barradas M, Hernández-González F, Lalinde M, Prats N, Bernadó C, González P, Gómez M, Ikonomopoulou MP, Fernández-Marcos PJ, García-Caballero T, Del Pino P, Arribas J, Vidal A, González-Barcia M, Serrano M, Loza MI, Domínguez E, Collado M. Identification and characterization of Cardiac Glycosides as senolytic compounds. Nat. Commun. 2019 Oct 21;10(1): 4731.
- Mallo-Abreu A, Prieto-Diaz R, Jespers W, Azuaje J, Majellaro M, Velando C, García-Mera X, Caamaño O, Brea JM, Loza MI, Gutiérrez-de-Terán H, Sotelo E. Nitrogen-Walk Approach to Explore Bioisosteric Replacements in a Series of Potent A2B Adenosine Receptor Antagonists. J Med Chem. 2020 Jul 23;63(14):7721-7739. doi: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.0c00564. Epub 2020 Jul 7
- Kampen, Stefanie; Duy Vo, Duc; Zhang, Xiaoqun; Panel, Nicolas; Yang, Yunting; Jaiteh, Mariama; Matricon, Pierre; Svenningsson, Per; Brea, Jose; Loza, Maria Isabel; Kihlberg, Jan; Carlsson, Jens. Structure-Guided Design of G-Protein-Coupled Receptor Polypharmacology. Angewandte Chemie-International Edition, Jul 2021. doi: 10.1002/anie.202101478.
- Martínez AL, Brea J, Rico S, de Los Frailes MT, Loza MI. Cognitive Deficit in Schizophrenia: From Etiology to Novel Treatments. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Sep 14;22(18):9905. doi: 10.3390/ijms22189905.