Objectives and lines of research
The lines of research include the field of human and animal application. This allows us in many cases to develop dual-use applications, for human and animal health.
Lines of research
1. Hydrosolubilization of drugs with low aqueous solubility using cyclodextrins, solid dispersions, microemulsions and nanosuspensions.
2. Bipharmaceutical and pharmacokinetic characterization of drugs. Pharmacokinetic studies of drugs in experimental animal models and in fish
3. Development of technologies to obtain biodegradable systems for the release of drugs. Vehicle and immobilization of drugs and biological products in biodegradable microcapsules and colloidal systems (nanoparticles, nanostructured lipid systems, microemulsions…). Therapeutic areas of interest for these drug delivery systems include the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis by intra-articular administration of antibodies, inflammatory bowel disease, implantable systems for the administration of hypoglycemic agents, intracellular delivery for enzyme replacement therapies and promoters of the immune response to vaccination.
4. Design and characterization of drug dosage forms intended for administration by mucosal routes: ophthalmic, vaginal and buccal.
5. Design and characterization of drugs intended for administration to the skin and appendages (nails)
6. Analysis of the human microbiome and its relationship with inflammatory bowel diseases
7. Biological effects of electromagnetic radiation and its influence on human health
8. Study of natural and synthetic polyphenols as antiparasitic and anti-inflammatory
9. Molecular characterization of Cryptosporidium and Giardia isolates from human, domestic/wild and environmental samples.
10. Detection of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in water.
11. Evaluation of the effectiveness of different disinfection methods in the inactivation of Cryptosporidium in drinking water and in reclaimed water.