Objectives and lines of research
In the field of clinical and translational research, the interests of our research group, made up mainly of members of the Pharmacy Service of the Santiago de Compostela Health Area with research and care training, are oriented towards a series of fundamental aspects:
1.Personalization of pharmacological treatments: contribute to revealing the bases of variability in the response to drugs and optimize the results of pharmacological therapies.
2. Development and galenic characterization of medicines
Lines of research
- Development of drugs and personalized formulations (Galeno 4.0): Currently there is a significant number of patients with no treatment available, who do not have treatments adapted to their disease and/or specific condition. At this point, the galenic sections of the Pharmacy Service are in charge of responding. The “Galeno 4.0” line has meant a reinvention in the development and optimization of personalized formulations adapted to the patient, and the group is currently a national benchmark in this field. All the results obtained in this line have had a direct transfer to our clinical care practice.
- Pharmacokinetic personalized medicine: According to the Canadian National Research Council, Personalized Medicine supposes the adaptation of medical treatment to the individual characteristics of each patient. This implies the possibility of identifying patients who differ in their susceptibility to experience a certain disease, in the biology and/or prognosis of said disease, as well as in the response or adverse effects that they experience after the administration of a certain treatment. This identification is made through the analysis and integration of genomic data and molecular imaging techniques with clinical data and the patient’s environment.
- Independent clinical research: Clinical trials are considered essential to advance scientific research. Thanks to them, new medicines and treatments may be available, but their implementation and execution is expensive for this reason, in more than 70% of cases they are usually promoted by the industry. In recent years, the unit has coordinated several of these trials; however, in recent years the need to promote independent clinical research has arisen, which attempts to solve problems identified by professionals of the National Health System that affect their patients. Leading innovation in the area of drug development and the application of personalized medicine techniques inherently includes the clinical evaluation of these interventions. Currently, the unit has coordinated the conduct of clinical trials promoted by the industry, and leads two clinical trials independent in the field of infectious diseases.
- Varela-Fernández R, Isabel Lema-Gesto M, González-Barcia M, Javier Otero-Espinar F. Design, development, and characterization of an idebenone-loaded poly-ε-caprolactone intravitreal implant as a new therapeutic approach for LHON treatment. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2021 Sep 6:S0939-6411(21)00233-2. doi: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2021.09.001. Online ahead of print. PMID: 34500025
- Toja-Camba FJ, Gesto-Antelo N, Maroñas O, Echarri Arrieta E, Zarra-Ferro I, González-Barcia M, Bandín-Vilar E, Mangas Sanjuan V, Facal F, Arrojo Romero M, Carracedo A, Mondelo-García C, Fernández-Ferreiro A. Review of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacogenetics in Atypical Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics. Pharmaceutics. 2021 Jun 23;13(7):935. doi: 10.3390/pharmaceutics13070935. PMID: 34201784
- Mondelo-García C, Bandín-Vilar E, García-Quintanilla L, Castro-Balado A, Del Amo EM, Gil-Martínez M, Blanco-Teijeiro MJ, González-Barcia M, Zarra-Ferro I, Fernández-Ferreiro A, Otero-Espinar F. Current Situation and Challenges in Vitreous Substitutes. J. Macromol Biosci. 2021 Aug;21(8):e2100066. doi: 10.1002/mabi.202100066. Epub 2021 May 13. PMID: 33987966
- Castro-Balado A, Mondelo-García C, Barbosa-Pereira L, Varela-Rey I, Novo-Veleiro I, Vázquez-Agra N, Antúnez-López JR, Bandín-Vilar EJ, Sendón-García R, Busto-Iglesias M, Rodríguez-Bernaldo de Quirós A, García-Quintanilla L, González-Barcia M, Zarra-Ferro I, Otero-Espinar FJ, Rey-Bretal D, Lago-Quinteiro JR, Valdés-Cuadrado L, Rábade-Castedo C, Del Río-Garma MC, Crespo-Diz C, Delgado-Sánchez O, Aguiar P, Barbeito-Castiñeiras G, Pérez Del Molino-Bernal ML, Trastoy-Pena R, Passannante R, Llop J, Pose-Reino A, Fernández-Ferreiro A. Development and Characterization of Inhaled Ethanol as a Novel Pharmacological Strategy Currently Evaluated in a Phase II Clinical Trial for Early-Stage SARS-CoV-2 Infection. Pharmaceutics. 2021 Mar 5;13(3):342. doi: 10.3390/pharmaceutics13030342. PMID: 33808025
- Conde Penedo A, Díaz Tomé V, Fernández Ferreiro A, González Barcia M, Otero Espinar FJ. Enhancement in corneal permeability of riboflavin using cyclodextrin derivates complexes as a previous step to transepithelial cross-linking. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2021 May;162:12-22. doi: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2021.02.012. Epub 2021 Mar 2.PMID: 33667681
- Seoane-Viaño I, Ong JJ, Luzardo-Álvarez A, González-Barcia M, Basit AW, Otero-Espinar FJ, Goyanes A. 3D printed tacrolimus suppositories for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Asian J Pharm Sci. 2021 Jan;16(1):110-119. doi: 10.1016/j.ajps.2020.06.003. Epub 2020 Jul 9.PMID: 33613734. Free PMC article.
- Díaz-Tomé V, García-Otero X, Varela-Fernández R, Martín-Pastor M, Conde-Penedo A, Aguiar P, González-Barcia M, Fernández-Ferreiro A, Otero-Espinar FJ. In situ forming and mucoadhesive ophthalmic voriconazole/HPβCD hydrogels for the treatment of fungal keratitis. Int J Pharm. 2021 Mar 15;597:120318. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2021.120318. Epub 2021 Feb 1. PMID: 33540021
- García-Otero X, Díaz-Tomé V, Varela-Fernández R, Martín-Pastor M, González-Barcia M, Blanco-Méndez J, Mondelo-García C, Bermudez MA, Gonzalez F, Aguiar P, Fernández-Ferreiro A, Otero-Espinar FJ. Development and Characterization of a Tacrolimus/Hydroxypropyl-β-Cyclodextrin Eye Drop. Pharmaceutics. 2021 Jan 23;13(2):149. doi: 10.3390/pharmaceutics13020149. PMID: 33498753. Free PMC article.